Lists are a hot tactic in the world of content marketing, so as a PR pro, I thought I’d take this opportunity to put a best practice into action. As a “senior practitioner” (I hate calling myself that), my most memorable career lessons have happened during moments of failure. I’ve taken my lumps and observed others taking theirs.
Here are five hard won lessons that may help you on your personal journey to success at work (and play):
5) Embrace other people’s strengths. No one is good at everything. Know what you’re good at and where you’re deficient, and surround yourself with people who complement your abilities.
4) Be your own worst critic. If you aren’t, you can bet someone else is. Pay attention to your own work and search for ways to become better. The counterbalance – don’t take yourself too seriously.
3) Avoid burnout. We spend a huge portion of our lives at work, and there is more to life than burning the midnight oil all the time. Enjoy what you do and the people you work with. If you never feel a sense of accomplishment, it may be time to look for another job or career.
2) Be a change agent. Marketing communications is fast-paced and always changing. Don’t be afraid to mix things up and try new ideas. Be daring with your next headline. You never know where it may lead you!
1) Remain relevant. It’s my responsibility to provide value to my clients and my employer. Embrace lifelong learning and consciously look for ways to stay relevant.